skip to main content
Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct
University of Mississippi

Parent & Guardian FAQs

Are you going to tell me if my student receives a letter? Will I be notified? 

The Office of Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct sends all correspondence via email to the student’s email account. If available, conduct officers may also send text messages to students who have provided their cell phone number on their student account. Pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), parents or guardians may only be notified when a student is found responsible for a policy violation related to alcohol or other drugs when they are under the age of 21.


Will you talk to me about my student’s case? 

Unfortunately, we cannot talk to you about your student’s case unless we receive written permission from the student based on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Our office uses a Consent to Disclose (FERPA) waiver separate from other campus entities to ensure student privacy. Once we receive a completed Consent to Disclose (FERPA) waiver sent from your student’s email account, we welcome any questions and/or concerns parents or guardians have regarding their student’s case. Consent to Disclose (FERPA) waivers are sent to students as an attachment to their notice of allegation letter and can resent by the conduct officer at the student’s request.

We are unable to retain Consent to Disclose FERPA waivers for students without existing conduct cases. If you student doesn’t have a case with our office and you would like to be notified if they find themselves involved in a student conduct case, we recommend discussing your expectations for involvement with the student directly.


What can I do as a parent to help my child through the disciplinary/conduct process? 

Parents are encouraged to discuss the matter with their student. Our staff encourages students to speak candidly with parents or guardians about the process. We appreciate when parents encourage their students to be honest, forthcoming, and reflective in their interactions with staff members to ensure decisions made in our process are most appropriate.


Will this incident be on my student’s permanent record? 

Records of suspensions and expulsions will be notated on the student’s official transcript. Records of Disciplinary Probation, Housing Probation, and Warning do not appear on the student’s transcript. A student’s disciplinary record is part of their educational record and is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If a student would like their conduct record disclosed to an outside entity (graduate school, government agency, etc.), a student will be required to submit a waiver to grant their permission.


Does the University have an amnesty policy for students seeking emergency medical assistance? 

The University of Mississippi holds paramount the health, safety, and welfare of students. Accordingly, all University students are expected to alert appropriate officials in the event of a health, safety, or welfare emergency including, without limitation, a situation involving alcohol, hazing, or drugs. The student(s) who contact appropriate officials and the impaired student(s) will not be subject to formal disciplinary action unless the individuals have engaged in repeated or serious violations. However, the student(s) may be required to meet with a University staff member to discuss the behavior and adhere to appropriate educational requirements. For more detailed information please see DSA.SC.300.026 (Safety and Well-Being Amnesty).

Failure to complete educational requirements assigned in the amnesty process may result in the application of the Educational Sanction Non-Compliance and Monitoring Policy (DSA.SC.300.021) for failing to meet the terms of the agreement.